Highlights from the August 9, 2017 CFRPC Council Meeting
COMPREHENSIVE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY (CEDS)
- The Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) is a five-year strategy for the region that is developed and maintained by the CFRPC. View the presentation.
- An update of the CEDS has been reviewed by the CEDS Committee and is ready to be posted for public comment and submittal to the Economic Development Administration (EDA). View the draft document here.
- MOTION: To approve the draft CEDS for public comment and submission to EDA carried unanimously.
RESOLUTION 2017-8A POLK TRANSPORTATION PLANNING ORGANIZATION (TPO) JOINT PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT (JPA)
MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-8A to update an existing ongoing agreement with the Polk Transportation Planning Organization to review, participate in and serve as the regional review clearinghouse for projects and establishes a cooperative relationship carried unanimously.
APPROVAL OF GRANT APPLICATION SUBMITTALS AND AUTHORITY TO EXECUTE CONTRACTS AND ADMINISTER AGREEMENTS
- The Avon Park Air Force Range has been identified as having one of the most successful Joint Land Use Studies (JLUS) in the country due to the support of the surrounding local governments and partner agencies.
- MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-8B to authorize staff to apply for FY 2018-19 Florida Defense Support Task Force (FDSTF) grant funding to implement the Avon Park Air Force Range Sentinel Landscape Program, and move to approve a contract with DEO and authorize Executive Director to execute and administer grant agreement if awarded grant carried unanimously.
COMPETITIVE FLORIDA PARTNERSHIP PROJECTS
- In 2016-17, the CFRPC facilitated the designation of the City of Frostproof and Polk City as Competitive Florida Communities through the Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO).
- Through this program, the CFRPC has been able to assist these municipalities to identify strategies to build and enhance their local economies while staying true to what makes them unique and give them a competitive advantage. Learn more.
- Both current Competitive Florida Partnership grant awardees, Cities of Frostproof and Polk City, have applied for a second-year grant. The funding is competitive and both cities are required to participate in the interview process for each year of grant funding.
UPDATE ON THE HEARTLAND REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION PLANNING ORGANIZATION (HRTPO)
- HRTPO activities underway include:
- A Transit Development Plan (TDP) for Highlands County
- Recently completed projects:
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
- The FRCA Policy Board Meeting was held in July in conjunction with the Florida Association of Counties annual meeting.
- The Council was asked to be a United Way Pacesetter, so staff will be conducting their campaign in August.
- The City of Bartow awarded the Council with their monthly “Beautification Award” for the Florida Friendly landscape improvements, and will have the sign outside the front of the office for the next few weeks.
- CFRPC Deputy Director Jennifer Codo-Salisbury was selected for the next Leadership Polk Class XI
The next meeting of the CFRPC will be at 9:30 am on October 11, 2017, in Okeechobee County in the Board of County Commission Chambers.
View the Council Meeting Documents page for Agendas, Minutes, Presentations and upcoming meeting information.