Highlights from the October 11, 2017 CFRPC Council Meeting
Okeechobee County Activities Report
- Robbie Chartier, Okeechobee County Administrator, reported on current activities in Okeechobee County, including developing a new three-year strategic plan, roadway improvements, and the development of Okee-Tantie with Bass Pro Shop Resort.
- Okeechobee County is working to reduce the nutrients in the water near the canals, will receive over $500,000 toward airport activities this year, and has adopted a balanced budget that will reduce millage to its taxpayers.
Joint Participation Agreement with FDOT
- MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-10A providing a new agreement with the Florida Department of Transportation to receive the Federal Transit Administration 5311 funds which provides capital, planning, and operating assistance to support public transportation in rural areas on behalf of DeSoto County carried unanimously.
Community Planning Technical Assistance Grant and Competitive Florida Partnership Awards
- Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) Community Planning Technical Assistance Grants were awarded to eight jurisdictions in the region and one was awarded to the CFRPC to continue its work with the Avon Park Air Force Range Sentinel Landscape program.
- The City of Frostproof and the City of Polk City received a Competitive Florida Partnership Grant to develop economic development visions for their city. This will be Frostproof’s second year to receive this grant award.
- MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-10B to authorize the Executive Director to enter into the agreement with the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity to continue its work with the Avon Park Air Force Range Sentinel Landscape program carried unanimously.
Contract For Technology Services
- MOTION: To authorize continuing services with Cipher Integration, Inc. for a contract period of October 1, 2017, through September 30, 2018, for information technology services carried unanimously.
Hurricane Irma Reports
- Council staff and council members shared information on the impacts and recovery efforts in the wake of Hurricane Irma. The Economic Analysis and Disaster Resilience study, developed by the CFRPC in 2011 for the region, was shared and included information on hurricane impacts to employment and population, and discusses disaster recovery scenarios and impacts on sales tax revenue.
Post Disaster Recovery Economic Development Grant
- The US Economic Development Administration (EDA) is making a grant opportunity available through the Economic Adjustment Assistance Program for a Post Disaster Recovery position and support.
- MOTION: To authorize the Executive Director to submit and administer the EDA Grant carried unanimously.
Report For The Heartland Regional Transportation Planning Organization (HRTPO)
- The Highlands Transit Development Plan was adopted by the HRTPO Board at their meeting on October 4, 2017.
- HRTPO activities underway include:
- Long Range Transportation Plan Amendment
- Target setting for Safety Measures
- The Florida Department of Transportation Draft Tentative Five-Year Work Program is available for public comment until November 20, 2017, and will be presented to the HRTPO Board at their meeting on November 1, 2017, in Sebring, FL.
Committee To Nominate Officers For 2018 Selected
- Chair Edie Yates has appointed three Council members to serve on the Nominating Committee for 2018 Council Officers:
- Highlands County Commissioner Don Elwell
- Polk County Gubernatorial Appointee Hazel Sellers
- Okeechobee City Commissioner Mike O’Connor
- The election of officers for 2018 will take place at the December Council Meeting.
Executive Director’s Report
- The HRTPO will be sponsoring a Transportation Disadvantaged Summit, which is scheduled for November 15, 2017, at 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Sebring Civic Center.
- Marcia Staszko was awarded the 2017 Sheila Winitzer Shining Star Award by the Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged for her over 30-years of leadership in the Transportation Disadvantaged coordinated system in Central Florida.
The next meeting of the CFRPC will be at 9:30 am on December 13, 2017, in Polk County at the Bartow Public Library.
View the Council Meeting Documents page for Agendas, Minutes, Presentations and upcoming meeting information.