Highlights from the April 12, 2017 Council Meeting at the Hardee County Civic Center
- The CFRPC received national recognition as a Best Workplaces for Commuters.
HARDEE COUNTY ACTIVITIES
- Hardee County Administrator Lex Albritton reported on current activities in Hardee County.
- He highlighted the new and renovated facilities and economic development activities in Hardee County include the opening of Caresink Company, the construction of the new 35-million-dollar Florida Hospital, and the Mosaic Company Ona Phosphate Mine that is currently under County review.
UPDATE ON DESOTO COUNTY TRANSPORTATION DISADVANTAGED (TD) DESIGNATED OFFICIAL PLANNING AGENCY (DOPA) TRANSITION
- At the November 2016 Council meeting, a resolution was adopted by the Council in support of serving as the transportation disadvantaged planning agency for DeSoto County if approved by the TD Commission.
- On March 14, 2017, the TD Commission designated the CFRPC as the DOPA for DeSoto County starting July 1, 2017.
RESOLUTIONS RELATING TO THE SUBMITTAL OF TRANSPORTATION DISADVANTAGED 2017-2018 PLANNING GRANTS AND FTA RURAL TRANSIT FUNDS
- MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-4A in support of submitting the TD Planning grant for Hardee, Highlands and Okeechobee Counties carried unanimously.
- MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-4B in support of submitting the TD Planning grant for DeSoto County carried unanimously.
- MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-4C in support of submitting the FTA Section 5311 Operating Funds for DeSoto County carried unanimously.
- MOTION: To adopt Resolution 2017-4D authorizing the Council to enter into the interlocal agreement with DeSoto County to administer the remaining FTA funds until a new JPA can be entered into between the Council and FDOT carried unanimously.
COMPREHENSIVE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY (CEDS) AND STATE OF THE REGIONAL ECONOMY
- The Council was briefed on current economic indicators for the State of Florida. View the presentation.
- The Council is responsible for producing and maintaining a Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS). The performance measures in the CEDS are updated annually along with other minor updates, and a major update occurs every five years. A timeline for this five-year CEDS update was presented. View the presentation.
UPDATE ON THE HEARTLAND REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION PLANNING ORGANIZATION (HRTPO)
- HRTPO activities underway include:
- Developing a Congestion Management Process (CMP)
- A Transit Development Plan (TDP) for Highlands County
- FDOT Project Priority Applications have been received from local governments, reviewed for sufficiency, and forwarded to FDOT to be considered for inclusion in their Five Year Work Program. The project application’s preliminary rankings will be presented to the HRTPO Board at their meeting on April 19, 2017.
- A new Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is under development
- The staff was visited recently by a representative from the Federal Highway Administration to review HRTPO work products.
PRESENTATION ON GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) SERVICES
- CFRPC Senior Planner Jeff Schmucker reported on the diverse types of GIS services provided to local governments in the region, including spatial/geographic analysis and 3D visualization. These maps are used for Comprehensive Plans, Zoning and for Special Projects within the region. View the presentation.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT
- The status of current legislative activities, including the Community Development Agency (CRA) Bill and the Small Cell or Cell Tower Bill were discussed.
- Staff reported that the South Florida Avenue (SR37) project in Lakeland and the Joint Land Use Study (JLUS) Implementation grant were recently completed.
- Florida Regional Councils Association (FRCA)
- Activities of FRCA may be found in the Monthly Activity Report included in the meeting materials.
- Pat Steed shared her anticipated attendance at the FRCA Executive Directors’ meeting in Tallahassee later in the week.
The next meeting of the CFRPC will be at 9:30am on June 14, 2017 in Highlands County at CareerSource Heartland.
View the Council Meeting Documents page for Agendas, Minutes, Presentations and upcoming meeting information.